Wednesday, April 8, 2009

4-7-09 Show review: Awesome Color, Illinois, and Dinosaur Jr.

I believe "rock" and "rocking" are two completely different ideas. I regard one as a noun referring to a genre of music, and the latter as a rare act where an exceptional performance mentally and emotionally affects you to the point where you're confused about how great it feels. The latter is definitely rare, but it happens. It's happened to me several times in my life, but never the way that it happened last night. Dinosaur Jr. rocks, and is rock. There's no other way to explain what I saw last night, not because I don't know any better words, but that there are no words to better describe what I saw. But first: Opening bands!

The first band was a group called Awesome Color. They were your typical indie psychadelic rock group, all very talented. I'd say that I would have liked them more if they would let the guitarist do his own thing and grab a different vocalist. The bass and drums were exceptionally talented, and when there were no vocals, I was definitely getting into it. Overall, they were good, yet boring, but I can't really blame them since there wasn't really a crowd or spectators willing to even move there.

The crowd began to move in as Illinois was about to start their set, and I can tell I was either in for a really good or really bad show. There were a lot of people, yet they seemed to be all awkward hispters ready to scold anyone who more than bobbed their head to the music. Illinois, though, was pretty solid. They played a mix of cool rock and some disco/funk-style stuff. The latter was amusing, but very boring due to a lack of beat necessary for the type of music. The former, though, was exceptional. "She's So Blonde" is definitely going to find regular play on my Walkman.

It was asses to elbows by the time Dinosaur Jr. was ready to come in. To be honest, I didn't know what to expect. I enjoy their music. It's pretty good, mellow stuff. Almost all of their songs are well-written, and well-played. I figured I was in for what I heard on the albums: entertaining, yet not very moving indie rock.

God, I love it when I'm wrong. The first minute, the first damned minute just blew my brain out the back of my head. Every song rocked, because these guys just knew what the hell your brain, ears, and feet want from a show. Loud, beat-heavy, mind-blowing rock from opening to encore.
The only complaint I could have for the show was that Mascis looked bored out of his skull most of the time, and some of the guitar solos were a little long, but J. Mascis is such a phenomal fucking guitar player that it doesn't bother me. The problem I have with most guitar players these days it that they either try to Herman Hammitt weedly-weedly-wheee just to impress people, or they stick to the same long-ass boring blues solo we've heard a million times. Mascis sings with his guitar. He can play one note and hold it because it sounds like the guitar is just a person pouring their mind out on the floor, and it's great. I only fear that I enjoy the live show much more than their recorded music. I'd really love to see these guys play a venue with a more fun crowd. I actually moved to another side of the venue near some head-banging, fist-bumping punks because one hispter douchebag actually asked me to stop bobbing my head.

All in all, a very good show worth every penny. Charge was $15 ($16 because I bought it early from a record store). 18 years old and up.

No comments:

Post a Comment